Wednesday, July 27, 2011

dig a hole


We had more than our fair share of drizzly cold days while we were away.  There is only so long you can either entertain children or ignore their whining.



I read Enid Blyton books over and again when I was little. 

In most there is some reference to Mummie sending the children into the garden.  In one I recall the children telling "Mummie" that it was raining and asking if they could come indoors now.  "Presently, my dears.  Put on your Macintosh coats and Wellington boots and Nanny will call you in later for Tea".  The children happily skipped off in the rain and not another word was said. 
No, "But that's not fair", or "I don't like the rain", or "It's cold" to be heard.




So by the second week I completely gave up and ordered my children O.U.T!   Delighted, they were!    They were instructed to, "Dig a hole!".


'See Tigs dig. Tigs digs a big, deep hole'.


'Oh, no Tigs lost his boot in the big, deep hole'!


As ever Woo has to keep up.


The second she saw Tigs lose his boot hers was royally kicked off and up she got to plunge her delicate little toes into the oozy, gooey mud.  She's wacky!



I popped back inside for a while and enjoyed the squeals of delight outside.  Mmmm.  Can you see that syrupy sludge dripping down my baby's forehead?  Courtesy of her charming brother. 


And so on yet another glorious, wintry, drizzle-filled country day my babies played and played and were bathed, dried before a roaring fire and slipped into fresh warm 'jammies by 2pm!


I hope the sun is shining wherever you may be.

Thanks for coming over today,
E x

1 comment:

Tena Walton said...

Oh didn't we all love Enid Blyton? (We still have a full set upstairs in storage!!!) And my "baby" is 30 this year :) But I LOVED this post -- wonderful wells and the fact that Woo lost hers when Tigs did

Enjoy every moment - it all passes far too quickly

xx Tena