Sunday, June 7, 2009

mmmmm ... mimolette!

What a find we had yesterday! It's a difficult time of year for Flossy and me. It's the anniversary of our Daddy's death. We would have thought that 5 years would be a little easier and although the day-in day-out pain eases a little the month leading up to it is still as raw and as painful as the if it just happened. Problem is that my Daddy was the most extraordinary man. We miss him so much. He lit up a room. I think he made men feel comfortable and relaxed and women feel amazing and clever and beautiful.



So rather than get too miserable we were able to celebrate our beautiful Daddy. He loved cheese, he loved a sharp cheese, the kind that would 'take the roof of your mouth off'. His absolute all time favourite - Mimolette . Flossy and I have searched and searched for this all time favourite of Daddy's for years and once in a while a fromagier would inform us that they’d heard of it, or they’d had it in the past, but we were always left a little forlorn as we’d leave with a nice, but not-quite-right substitute.

Yesterday I insisted that we pick up some cupcake cases from the other end of
Chadstone. We were on a tight time schedule but I convinced her to come with me. While I was browsing through Wheel & Barrow, Floss noticed the Simon Johnson shop and wandered over. By the time I’d managed to actually get into the shop (the Fromagerie has a seemingly hard door to open!) I found Floss ordering 700 g of vieille-Mimolette at $110 per kilo!!!! The girl is mad but boy it was worth it!

floss / bliss


We really had ‘suckers’ plastered all over our faces by that stage and were effortlessly encouraged to buy some Epoisses Berthaut (in the round container), some flat 'le lingue' bread, and a bottle of verjuice to slosh over the Berthaut and bake in the oven. I have to say we reached paradise and in the making created 'un petit gourmand'. Tigs just loved the Mimolette sandwiched between two slices of beurre bosc pears. Mmmmm.

No comments: