Tuesday, December 29, 2009

good stains



I was recently given a lovely bag of girls clothes for Woo.  Amongst them was this slightly grey broderie anglaise, shirred top.  It was really pretty but I thought would require quite a lot of environmentally icky bleach to bring it back.



I thought it would be fun to stain it a whole other shade and promptly boiled the kettle!  The tea-bags were steeped for 5 minutes before dunking the top in amongst the golden liquid.  Meanwhile my cup brewed and we waited.



At two minutes - I'm so impatient -I had a look and rinsed it all out.  It needed another few minutes.  I repeated the rinsing and then thought it would be fun to soak just the bottom half for a little longer to see what would happen - knowing that I would be able to re-soak the whole lot to even out the colour if I didn't like the blended look.  I can't remember how long it stayed in (enough to finish the ironing!).  The top was well rinsed and dried in the hot sun before ironing the stain in with a very hot iron.



What do you think?  Pretty huh?  I'm afraid the model was being very $10,000 a day and was not interested in  my offer of anything to try it on.  Between you and me, she had a big ol' swollen face with huge mozzie bites that had all merged into one giant lump.  Poor little thing. 
I'll try and book her when she's looking like herself.



It will require handwashing which is the only downside as laundry soaps are so good now that the 'natural' stain will wash out if I throw it in the machine.

No comments: