It's a blink away from Christmas. And anyone who knows me, knows that this is my favourite time of year. To be honest Christmas is always on my mind from Boxing Day onwards! But I'm happiest when I can talk freely about it without everyone
The joyful festivities, the traditions, the drawing together of family and friends, the drawing to a close the end of a year, not to mention the drawing of funds!
I also celebrate the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
So what joy and happiness I found in the bottom of a dusty box at my favourite Oppie Shoppie. The note pinned to the box read "50 cents per booklet". So I carefully selected six, being me, I also made sure I didn't double up on the editions. Although the lovely ladies charged me only $1 for the lot - I should have grabbed more. I thought they would make some lovely decorations or Christmas cards.
I became a little more intrigued by these tattered, yellowed, well thumbed sheets and delved a little further. Only to discover that the oldest of my booklets was published in 1927 and the most recent in 1939!! What a find!
And then I came home and I thought more about the careful, even, hand written name on the cover 'Enid L. Davey'. It's written in ink, by someone who was taught, in the 'old' way, you can tell. But now I'm left with a question, who was she? Was she kind? Does she have family living in the area? How was her collection found and then let go to the charity shop?
I've spent much of this evening trying to learn more about Enid and the Ormond Methodist Church Choir, but good old Google couldn't help. I'm on a mission now and will talk to the library and the local historical society. She has me thinking.
Anyway, as I now appear to be completely attached to these flimsy, musty, shabby sheets, I hurried back yesterday morning and bought up the rest of the vintage pages so that I'd feel less guilty about cutting the duplicates up. Phew, still there! I'm happy!
I'll leave you with the words to one and hope that it reminds you, as it does me, to be aware of the small things and to be grateful.
Thanks Be to God
Thanks be to God for roses rare,
For skies of blue and sunshine fair.
For ev'ry gift I raise a prayer,
Thanks be to God.
For mystic fields with stars bedight,
For hours of dream and deep delight.
Thanks be to God.
Thanks be to God for love devine,
The hopes that round my heart entwine;
For all the joy that now is mine,
Thanks be to God!
For all the joy that now is mine,
Thanks be to God!
1 comment:
Hey Em,
Glad they still had the hymn books.Look forward to seeing what you do with them.It's amazing someone would get rid of them. Interesting to find out about Enids life,now you have a piece of it.
I love the thankful words. In this busy world it is the small things that can really bring the most joy and we should be thankful. Lis x
Post a Comment