Tuesday, August 25, 2009

baby imelda

Little Imelda Marcos


I'm not sure I have the words to adequately describe such excess! I hasten to add that of all these (and embarrassingly there are more that didn't make it into the photo) I bought four pairs. The rest have been very kindly given to us, mostly from my sweet friend Robyn, whose little girl Zoe, is only 4 months older than Woo Woo. I have never seen such beautifully cared for clothes & shoes in all my life. Everything Robyn sends is pristine, smells lovely and always suits Woo perfectly.

Now these vintage lovelies came my way as a message.


On Friday, October 31st last year, having dropped Tigs at creche, I popped by my quaint little Oppe Shoppe, I say 'my' as it is mostly filled with my off-casts! Out of the blue the rain came teeming down. Sideways. As I walked towards the shop I noticed the tables of 'specials' the ladies had set up outside were getting soaked. I dashed in, told them, and asked if they'd like me to move them. Having tucked them safely under cover one dear old lady looked at me kindly and wisely her eyes locking tightly on mine and said sincerely, "Thank you Dear, I hope something wonderful happens to you". "You're welcome," I sang out, as I delved into the boxes of notions looking for treasure. With that I spotted a small, pink box containing the little beauties above and a tiny brush & comb. The box, sadly, defaced with a Sharpie written '$5' right over the top. Never mind about the box, I thought, these are too sweet to pass up.

At this stage I should mention that we were very, very close to removing our file from Taiwan and giving up on our dream of a second child. I was emotionally spent. I wasn't sure who these precious little shoes would be given to but I had to have them.

So, with the little box tucked under my arm I continued to sift through the zippers, crochet hooks, buttons, curtain rings & hooks (why are there always so many curtain hooks in every op shop?) and picked out a few little goodies. I mindlessly moved onto the patterns section, when suddenly my tummy lurched as I stared down at myself, only 20 years younger! "Ah!", I thought, "this is the 'something lovely' happening to me. Not much chop but, oh well, I was photographed in lots of knitting patterns in 'my youth' and I've never found one before". With that I gathered my bits and pieces, paid for them and left feeling strangely tickled at my finds.

It was only three days later on Monday, November 3rd, after a 13 month wait, that our phone rang with the glorious news that we had a baby girl in our world ...
Goosebumps, hey?

And now for a giggle, Me, circa 1986!

Fun-ny!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Oh Emma, that is such a lovely story. Little Twinkle was so meant to be.

I can't stop giggling at your modelling pictures!!! You are beautiful, but the poses are so 80's!!! We need to see more of your pics!!!