Sunday, August 30, 2009

storm

On Tuesday afternoon Babcia brought Pieorogi for us. We love the potato ones! Just before 4pm (early even for my children) Tiggy announced that he was starving and promptly gobbled 9 pieroshki down at once! That's no mean feat especially for my little mouse. Greg was home early and starving so he ate too! Wacky lot we are.

It was "one of those evenings". The clouds ominous, winds wild. The city folk had been ordered to leave for home early. I was worrying about the birds. I always worry about the birds when the weather is in a bad temper.

The family fed, ridiculously early, the kitchen clean, I decided to let those babies slip on into the shower and get them ready for bed. No sooner had I popped them in than the room buzzed with one short brown-out and then plunged into total darkness. The baby was washed by instinct and the big guy, well I don't think his body actually saw the soap bar that night!!

Fortunately, I had the usual candles lit already and there was a little light still coming through the windows. First things, first, I lit candles everywhere. So pretty. Then I dashed around gathering PJ's, folding back sheets and shutting blinds,clearing a path through Tiggy's catastrophe of a bedroom and fishing out the good ol' Alessi kettle to put on the gas hob. If nothing else I need my tea to keep me going in the evening!




So there we were done for the day by 6pm. Peace and quiet all around except for the rain teeming down, the wind beating against the windows. Woo-Woo went to sleep early and Tiggy and his Daddy curled up on the sofa snuggling a hottie, reading by torch light - excuse the poor choice of literature please - and playing Sudoku together. I curled up on the other sofa, my hottie held tight, a hot cup of tea and slice of Black Magic Cherry Cake by my side and read my Country Living by candle light.


Last Tuesday night was special and we think we'll 'flick the switch' once in a while - just for fun.

No comments: