"I made this for Flossy - because I think she'll adore it!"
Tigs has asked me to do the typing because he was too 'mbarrassed to do it himself.
"Mummy teached me how to use her sewing macheem on the weekend. I made a pic-cha for Flossy. I didn't do fabric for the grass because the waves on the fabric were too wavy and not really like grass. It was fun to do the sewing. I think Flossy will like it. Thank you, from T"
Following Tiggy's request to learn to sew I had to rapidly come up with an activity that would be interesting, manageable and incorporate a number of skills he already has as well as introducing this new and very complex one!
He's super good at drawing, pasting & cutting. He's imaginative and he's great at following instructions (massive disclaimer here - when he wants to!). That in mind I asked him to grab some card stock and a pencil and create a drawing of anything he liked. In the meantime I got out my scrap bag, a pair of small, sharp scissors and a glue stick. When Tigs was happy with his drawing he spent a long time sifting through the scraps, carefully selecting the pieces, trimming them to size and sticking them in place.
When he's finished this he was ready to embark on his first machine made piece.
I had to elevate the foot on a little chair under the table and showed him how to rest his heel on the seat and the sole of his foot lightly placed on the pedal ready to sew.
I sat behind him on the chair and assisted, as much as he'd allow.
We ended up with some confusion over the pedal and the presser foot as I kept telling him to lift or lower the foot (meaning the presser foot) and he'd blast off on the other foot ( the pedal!). I stayed very calm and pushed aside the visions of little fingers slipping under the needle ...
I told Tigs, that Flossy would probably love it so much she'd want to frame it. Within a few seconds of her gasping with pleasure she told Tiggy she would indeed like to frame it to keep it safe forever. If you could have seen his dear little face light up with pleasure and humble pride your heart would have swelled almost to bursting, just like mine did, I think Flossy's did too.
If you'd like to leave a message for Tigs, which would thrill him to bits, I'll be sure to pass it on. He's waiting for your feedback ... :)
7 comments:
FANTASTIC job Tigs!! That is a beautiful picture you made for Flossy. I might need you to teach me how to use a sewing machine - you do a much better job than me :) Well done big boy.
Tigs -- that is SO amazing -- you are very, very clever indeed and you are very kind to make such a beautiful picture for your auntie xx
Wow Tigs! What a clever and talented boy you are. I really like the fabric you chose for the tree trunk. I hope that Joon might one day sew as well as you.
Kim (Joon's mum)
Great job Tigs. Your picture looks awesome. You should be very proud. What a great little artist you are.
From Seb's Dad. :)
Awesome!! I love that you're interested in sewing Tigs. Looks like you have a talent, just like your mum :)
From Tamara (Noah & Ava's mum)
Oh Tigs - what can I say? I couldn't be more impressed with your sewing picture and more excited that you wanted me to be the first person to have one. I have put it in a safe place (away from wicked whippets) and will take it to be framed as soon as I can. I can't wait to see it on my wall!! Thank you so much.
Flossy xx
Darling Grandson, you are truly my cleverest boy!!! Your Flossy picture was brilliant. I love you, MoMo. xoxoxoxox
Post a Comment